Bookmark and Share

Saturday 13 October 2012

Mr. Palfrey's Bootleg Basement... Show #1

| | 0 comments

October 2012



I've decided to indulge myself in the form of a monthly podcast on Mixcloud. I'm a rabid collector of music and I have a real soft spot for good quality live recordings. I won't get too much into why here, but it is just another aspect to my musical anorak mentality. Anyway the basic idea of the Bootleg Basement show is to share my love of live bootleg recordings with the world. Loosely sticking to the Gothic Rock, New Wave, Industrial, Doom Metal and Electro genres you can expect live sets from the likes of Type O Negative, New Order, Killing Joke, David Bowie, Nine Inch Nails and Kraftwerk among others over the next twelve months (yes I've already planned out twelve shows!).

Episode number one features, as I say in the intro, one of the (self-confessed' most bootlegged bands in music... The Sisters Of Mercy. This set was recorded live at The Albert Hall back in 1985. This is one of my favourite Sisters bootlegs for two reasons: One being the dry banter of Andrew Eldritch throughout the show, and two being the great mix that balances the on stage sound and crowd noise perfectly. It's a shame this was never released officially in a format other than that of the home video 'Wake'. But anyway, here it is for you all now.



  1. First And Last And Always
  2. Body And Soul
  3. Marian
  4. No Time To Cry
  5. Walk Away
  6. Possession
  7. Emma
  8. Amphetamine Logic
  9. A Rock And A Hard Place
  10. Floorshow
  11. Alice
  12. Fix
  13. Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Why Mixcloud? Well I looked at a few other potential sites to host it, but what swung it for me for Mixcloud was that I could add chapters and name all the songs so the bands could be paid royalties, and even put links to the official albums up. This for me evens out the morality of playing an unofficial recording that in the past has been sold in a physical format without the band getting a cut. I know that one radio show wont reach many people, and even those won't be inclined to buy all the songs here, but I feel adding the option even things out a bit.

To listen to the show you can either visit my page on Mixcloud, or click the embedded player below.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Imago Alchemae: Imago Mortis on Tumblr

 
Twitter Facebook Tumblr Flickr Red Bubble