Tuesday, 5 June 2012

New Photoshoot: Low-Fi experiment

| | 1 comments
Grave Goth 2DebzVintage19DebzVintage18DebzVintage17DebzVintage16DebzVintage15
DebzVintage14DebzVintage13DebzVintage12DebzVintage11DebzVintage10DebzVintage9
DebzVintage8DebzVintage7DebzVintage6DebzVintage5DebzVintage4DebzVintage3
DebzVintage2DebzVintage1Industrial16_HiResIndustrial15_HiResIndustrial14_HiResIndustrial13_HiRes

Models, a set on Flickr.

© Imago Mortis Photography 2012
Model: Zebora

This was a Lo-Fi shoot featuring camera editing with minor post-processing in Adobe Lightroom 3. On this shoot I wanted to try a couple of different things and keep the DSLR as a backup. One was to utilise my infrared filter for some portraits as I've only ever used it on landscape scenes before. The other was to emulate a lo-fi film shoot.
For these shots I limited myself to using my Samsung Galaxy SII as the main camera. Now this has an 8 megapixel camera and in normal shooting mode this gets images comparable to a pretty good compact camera. I also have installed the pro version of the Vignette app. This really is a brilliant app as you can combine film types, filters and processing types to create customised styles. You can also either shoot with the filters on, or add filters to a photo later to get the desired look (I have pre-sets for everything from daguerreotypes to polaroid land cameras looks). In this case I selected the Vintage Summer filter from the menu and added film grain and light leaks to give the old battered camera feel to it. For these I didn't add a frame or any cropping which left me with a nice 8x10 print size. I took a quick test shot, liked the look and shot a total of 20 pictures. Out of the 20 there was only one worth throwing away.
The app also has another couple of features photographers may find useful: there are three framing grids to choose from – 'Thirds', 'Golden Ratio' (which is what I've used here) and 'None'. Also there are functions such as 'double exposure', 'time lapse', 'fast shot' and 'steady shot' (which I have also used here).
From the point of taking the photos I've been very happy with how they look. The lo-fi film filers coupled with the crispness of the digital shot are very pleasing. I'm not sure how they will print out yet as the files save initially in the full resolution settings at 200dpi. Once I'd put them on the PC and cleaned up a couple of blemishes in Adobe Lightroom 3, I then saved them as 300dpi tiff files which I then opened in Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 and saved as high and low resolution JPGs. These are the High-Res JPGs that I've uploaded to flickr.

I found this to be a very quick and pleasing way to add a new and fun twist to a shoot and I'll maybe experiment more with this in the future. Look out for the infrared shots next!

1 comments:

Lily Desre said...

I'm completely dazzled by the great results from the photo shoot. There's the perfect hue of colors, and as well as the dramatic effect of grass and of course the appropriate face expressions to complete the theme. I'm impressed by the photography skills tainted all over the photos.

Post a Comment

Imago Alchemae: Imago Mortis on Tumblr

 
Twitter Facebook Tumblr Flickr Red Bubble